Since 2017, Building Operator Training has been improving the skills of operations and maintenance staff working in NYC’s residential buildings through an overview of critical building systems with an emphasis on preventative maintenance and energy efficiency
- NYC Building Operator Training is a 30-hour training course for supers, operators, and maintenance staff of all NYC multifamily buildings (prior to July 2019, BOT was limited to staff of small to mid-sized buildings).
- Curriculum materials are available in Spanish and English.
- Course is offered at NO COST to all eligible participants!
- Now offered fully online.
Who Is Eligible
All individuals that manage, operate, and/or have hands-on access to building equipment and systems of small to mid-size multifamily buildings (5-50 apartment units or between 5,000 to 50,000 gross sq ft), including:
- Maintenance staff
- Property managers
What it Covers
- Ventilation and IAQ
- Heating System: Boiler-Burner, and DHW
- Heating System: Burners and Controls
- Heating System: Distribution (Steam)
- Heating System: Distribution (Hydronic)Health, Safety and Resilience
- Electric System and Safety
- Water Conservation and Lighting, Appliances & Efficiency
- Building Management and Communications
Benefits of Training
Even with the best equipment, optimal energy efficiency is not guaranteed without proper training for building staff. The course upgrades the skills of building staff so they can run a better building. Possible benefits of this training include:
- Reduced building energy costs (estimated 5-20% reduction),
- Extended lifespan of building equipment,
- Fewer calls to outside service providers and better management of contracted services,
- A more comfortable building for tenants, and
- Better safety, compliance and emergency management protocols
Completing the Building Operator Training program can result in energy savings of 5–20%without requiring any major capital expenditures. Since it launched in early 2017, more than 1,300 building staff, including maintenance staff, property managers, supers, and handymen/women have participated in the training. Read more about the impact of the program: Building Operator Training Testimonials.