Improve Your Building Performance
Building Operator Certification (BOC) is a 64-hour, nationally-recognized training program for commercial and institutional operators focusing on energy and operational improvements.
It can help organizations and individuals achieve energy savings and make operational improvements that can in turn help owners improve their Building Energy Efficiency Rating letter grade and prepare for Local Law 97 carbon caps, which begin in 2024.
For more than a decade, BPL has teamed up with local partners including the City of New York and hospitals to offer BOC training to thousands of building operators. Today, BPL is bringing BOC to the wider NYC real estate market – and all sessions are online.
Benefits of BOC training:
- Reduced energy costs and improved practices mean the average BOC graduate saves their employer as much as $20,000 a year.
- Many graduates report that training leads to career advancement opportunities.
- Instructors are O&M professionals who are experts in the unique needs of NYC buildings.
- A key component of BOC training is facility projects, so participants get practical, energy-saving experience in real time with the support of their instructor.
- And much more – learn about the program in detail and read testimonials from BPL’s BOC graduates and training clients.
BOC Curriculum Includes:
- HVAC Systems & Equipment
- Indoor Air Quality
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- Efficient Lighting Fundamental
- Energy Data Analysis
- O&M Practices for Sustainable Buildings
- Energy Conservation Techniques
Students will learn how to:
- Decrease energy costs
- Calculate energy and demand savings
- Determine equipment replacement priorities
- Improve system and equipment performance
- Recommend specific system improvements
- Manage occupant comfort
Classes include time off in between sessions to allow for project work at participants’ facilities.
Eligibility: You must have a minimum of 2 years of work and/or educational experience in a facilities-management related field – full details here.
Cost: The cost per participant is $1,950. Groups of 3 or more may be eligible for a discount – please indicate that you have a group in the interest form and we’ll be in touch.
Sixteen 4-hour sessions on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on the following dates:
- Topic 1: Energy Efficient Operation of HVAC Systems, TBD
- Topic 2: Measuring & Benchmarking Energy Performance, TBD
- Topic 3: Efficient Lighting Fundamentals, TBD
- Topic 4: HVAC Controls Fundamentals, TBD
- Topic 5: Indoor Environmental Quality, TBD
- Topic 6: Common Opportunities for Low-Cost Operational Improvement, TBD
- Supplemental Class, TBD
If you’re interested in participating or sending a group of your staff members, please fill out this form – and include what time of day you prefer for the sessions (morning, afternoon or evening). We’ll do our best to find a time that accommodates all participants.